IRBM is an innovative contract research organization working across all aspects of drug discovery and…
Business Development Director / Manager – Business Development Unit – Ref. 186 B
IRBM is an innovative contract research organization working across all aspects of drug discovery and early development for different modalities – small molecules, peptides, RNAs and antibodies. We foster collaborations with organizations from the pharmaceutical, biotech and academic sectors to accelerate drug discovery from target validation and hit identification to candidate nomination. Our 200 plus-strong, multidisciplinary teamwork at a state-of-the-art R&D facility near Rome where projects are carried out “under one roof” enabling rapid cycle times and close integration of the scientific teams. IRBM’s scientists have discovered several drugs that are on the market, and more than 25 compounds have gone into clinical testing. The company was founded in 2010, as a spin-off from Merck & Co. Now in our 13th year as an independent research organisation, we have laid the foundations to become a global centre for excellence in all aspects of drug discovery and early development.
We have several openings for talented and highly motivated EU based Business Development Directors to join the Company and support our expanding business and scientific efforts. The selected candidates will be responsible for developing and fostering relationships with key decision-makers at Biotech and Pharmaceutical companies and Not-For-Profit Organizations to secure business opportunities for the Company.
The successful candidates will be self-motivated, success-driven individuals who are well networked within the life science industry in Europe. The candidates will be able to work remotely and independently, with dedicated support from the IRBM team, while building strong relationships and a pipeline of opportunities throughout the geographical areas in key industry life sciences hubs including but not limited to France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, UK, and the Nordic Region.
A collaborative attitude and ability to multitask are essential for these positions, as well as the ability to work under pressure and meet corporate deadlines. Candidates with prior experience in the field of drug discovery will be given priority. While experience in the above skills is preferred, applicants with related skill sets are encouraged to apply.
- Achieving an agreed annual sales and revenue target and growth of IRBM’s business in the European life science sector.
- Establishing an in-depth knowledge of IRBM’s services and platforms and the ability to present them to potential clients.
- Designing and executing a business plan for the territory, identifying key target organisations and decision makers as well as relevant services for those organisations and individuals. The business plan should include competitor and SWOT analysis for the individual geographies as well as a quarterly action plan.
- Building effective relationships with decision makers, developing client loyalty, and expanding the current network of contacts.
- Generating a pipeline of opportunities for new and existing business and driving the sales process through to close.
- Representing IRBM at relevant industry and scientific conferences, meetings, and symposia.
- Pro-actively monitoring the life science market, providing regular market updates.
- Effectively use IRBM’s CRM (Salesforce) to efficiently track opportunities and proposals.
- Supporting the Project Management Scientific teams with the writing of workplans and proposals.
- When necessary, attending project meetings to handle any business-related issues such as changes in scope.
- Selling strategically, applying appropriate business models to secure sales.
- Proven track record of high-value deals in the drug discovery arena.
- Willingness to travel within the territory.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically about potential deal structures for high value opportunities.
- A solid understanding of drug discovery and the drug development process.
- Positive attitude, personal drive, and work ethic.
- Ability to work on their own initiative as well as part of a team.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (both written and oral).
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- BSc in chemistry, pharmacology, biology, or related field required
- Working knowledge of drug discovery
- Fluent in English (both written and oral)
- 5+ years of business development/sales experience in life sciences/biotech/pharma
- Proven sales track record in life sciences industry – a preference will be given to a track record of sales in the drug discovery arena.
- A strong network of senior level contacts across Europe
- MSc or PhD and/or MBA
Remote – Europe