IRBM is a drug discovery and development company with a track record of success in accelerating and executing the translation of novel discoveries into clinically relevant therapeutic modalities, including small molecules, peptides and monoclonal antibodies. IRBM is headquartered in Pomezia (Rome), Italy and provides integrated pre-clinical laboratory services across the entire drug discovery process, ranging from target validation to clinical candidate molecule selection. The company operates through collaborations with a number of pharmaceutical companies, biotech’s as well as research institutes and non-profit foundations working in a range of disease indications. IRBM is committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutic agents that can help fight and cure diseases.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated Peptide Chemist to join our Peptide Chemistry Unit and lead a team of peptide chemists, including PhD level scientists, focused on peptide drug discovery. The successful candidate will possess a strong background in peptide & macrocycle chemistry, protein chemistry and will have a proven track record of leading and advancing peptide therapeutics projects from hit identification to clinical candidate selection. She/he will join a dynamic and fast-paced group pursuing innovative and challenging peptide drug discovery and development research projects: this individual must have strong communicationand interpersonal skills necessary to lead a team and influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment. The candidate will report directly to the Director of the Peptide Chemistry Unit andis expected to pro-actively contribute at a strategic level to prioritize and support our peptide programs.
- Lead peptide chemistry and/or cross-functional teams (in house and with partners) in defining and implementing strategies for hit identification, hit-to-tool optimization, lead optimization and delivery of candidate peptides; train, mentor and coach the peptide chemistry team members
- Effectively manage multiple projects (external and internal) to deliver on projects goals in a timely manner;rapidly shift resources and re-prioritize in response to data and/or company needs.
- Establish, maintain and manage scientific relationships with external R&D organizations
- Establish high effective interactions with colleagues in biology, chemistry, screening, in vivo pharmacology and ADME to achieve and support project goals and objectives.
- Provide scientific/technical guidance, leadership and decision-making within the Company as appropriate.
- Professionally represents IRBM in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences.
- Maintain high standards of laboratory safety, comply with all safety requirements according to Italian laws.
- Extensive expertise in peptide/macrocycle and protein chemistry. Expertise in organic chemistry would be highly preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of analytical techniques (UPLC/HPLC, mass spectrometry) and common purification techniques (HPLC, IEX, GPC) is required.
- Excellent knowledge of structural techniques for peptide/protein characterization (CD and NMR spectroscopy)
- Excellent understanding of peptide drug discovery optimization strategies. Experience in late stage optimization and preclinical evaluation of peptide drugs, including knowledge of the roles of DMPK, drug safety, CMC, formulation etc.
- Self-starter, highly motivated and organized; able to work in a team environment and passionate about conducting high quality scientific research.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions, including peer reviewed publications, patents and presentations is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (English) with ability to share scientific rationale, results and strategy at project & team meetings are essential.
- Outstanding management and leadership skills, ability to provide supervision and mentorship.
- D. in Chemistry, Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Technologies or related field. with 12+ yearsof industry experience in pharmaceutical/biotech setting required.