IRBM is an innovative contract research organization working across all aspects of drug discovery and…
September 12th, 2022
Research Scientist – IRBM, Medicinal Chemistry Unit – Ref. 178B
IRBM is an innovative contract research organization working across all aspects of drug discovery and early development for different modalities – small molecules, peptides, RNAs and antibodies. We foster collaborations with organizations from the pharmaceutical, biotech and academic sectors to accelerate drug discovery from target validation and hit identification to candidate nomination. Our 200 plus-strong, multidisciplinary teamwork at a state-of-the-art R&D facility near Rome where projects are carried out “under one roof” enabling rapid cycle times and close integration of the scientific teams. IRBM’s scientists have discovered several drugs that are on the market, and more than 25 compounds have gone into clinical testing. The company was founded in 2010, as a spin-off from Merck & Co. Now in our 12th year as an independent research organisation, we have laid the foundations to become a global centre for excellence in all aspects of drug discovery and early development.
The Medicinal Chemistry Unit at IRBM is seeking an energetic, results-oriented individual, with a strong and proven background in organic and analytical chemistry. This individual will join a fast-paced medicinal chemistry team and will be required to reduce ideas to practice in the lab quickly by effectively employing a broad range of modern organic chemistry transformations, synthetic methods, purification and characterization techniques. Proven knowledge of lead optimization concepts, to design chemical strategies addressing biological activity and ADME/toxicology properties, is preferred. The successful candidate will have a passion for learning as well as the ability to generate and implement original ideas that contribute to the success of medicinal chemistry teams.
- Design, synthesize, purify and characterize novel organic molecules.
- Troubleshoot and optimize reaction sequences.
- Analyze and identify compounds using a good range of purification and spectroscopic techniques.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Regularly review the medicinal and organic literature.
- Active participation in discussions in medicinal chemistry team meetings.
- Presentation of results to chemistry and project teams.
- Manage workload and time to execute on multiple projects effectively.
- Deliver on agreed-upon objectives in a timely manner.
- Mastery of classical and modern organic chemistry methods.
- Outstanding technical and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to interact with team but work independently towards defined goals and timelines.
- Motivated and passionate about conducting high quality scientific research.
- Good knowledge of English is mandatory.
- Team player.
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry or a related discipline with 5 years of experience doing medicinal or synthetic chemistry in a pharmaceutical or biotech environment.
- PhD in Chemistry or a related discipline with one or more relevant postdoctoral experiences or with experience in a pharmaceutical or biotech environment.
- Experience abroad would be considered a plus.
The position will be based at IRBM’s headquarters in Pomezia (Rome), Italy