Position: Research Scientist, DMPK Unit, IRBM.
IRBM is a drug discovery and development company with a track record of success in accelerating and executing the translation of novel discoveries into clinically relevant therapeutic modalities, including small molecules, peptides and monoclonal antibodies. IRBM is headquartered in Pomezia (Rome), Italy and provides several integrated pre-clinical laboratory services across the entire drug discovery process, ranging from target validation to clinical candidate molecule selection. The company collaborates with a number of Pharmaceutical companies, Biotechs as well as research institutes and non-profit foundations working in a range of disease indications. IRBM is committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutic agents that can help fight and cure diseases.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and team-oriented candidate for the position of Research Scientist, in the Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) unit. The successful candidate will play a critical role in supporting ADME/PK activities on different discovery project teams, facilitating the identification and development of therapeutic small molecules and peptides. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in the following areas: small molecule mass spectrometry methods, sample extraction/preparation from a range of matrices, evaluation of bioanalytical data and troubleshooting/maintaining high-end mass spectrometers. She/he is expected to work independently under minimal supervision and to be proactive in suggesting and implementing new analytical technology and workflow improvements.
- Design and execute preclinical studies to characterize the absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion /ADME) and pharmacokinetic (PK) properties of small molecule and/or peptide drug candidates for projects spanning from early discovery to clinical candidate selection.
- Represent DMPK in interdisciplinary project teams to ensure effective application, interpretation and integration of PK and PK/PD studies and to provide guidance to solve ADME liabilities
- Clearly communicate DMPK data and their relevance to multidisciplinary project teams, management, external collaborators and partners.
- Manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously to meet internal and external deadlines while maintaining organizational integration within DMPK team
- Comply with all safety rules, practice good housekeeping, and maintain safe workplace without supervision.
- Knowledge of drug metabolism, ADME concepts, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamic and bioanalytical principles is required
- Proven experience in designing, analyzing and interpreting drug metabolism and PK studies.
- Experience in the identification of drug metabolites and reactive metabolite chemistry would be considered a plus.
- Familiarity with a range of laboratory automation instrumentation including robotic liquid handlers.
- Must be organized, pay attention to details and have strong critical thinking, organizational and planning skills; learn fast and can change course quickly when appropriate
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capability to work in a team environment are essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills (in English) are required
Required: Master’s Degree in Pharmaceutical Science, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Chemistry or a related discipline;
Preferred: PhD in Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacology, Drug Metabolism Pharmaceutics or related biomedical disciplines
> 3 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, with evidence of drug development experience will be highly preferred.