Position: Junior Research Scientist, Structural Biology Unit, IRBM.
IRBM is a drug discovery and development company with a track record of success in accelerating and executing the translation of novel discoveries into clinically relevant therapeutic modalities, including small molecules, peptides and monoclonal antibodies. IRBM is headquartered in Pomezia (Rome), Italy and provides several integrated pre-clinical laboratory services across the entire drug discovery process, ranging from target validation to clinical candidate molecule selection. The company collaborates with a number of Pharmaceutical companies, Biotech as well as research institutes and non-profit foundations working in a range of disease indications. IRBM is committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutic agents that can help fight and cure diseases.
IRBM is seeking a qualified and highly motivated Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Junior Research Scientist to join our Structural Biology Unit. This individual will join a fast-paced NMR team and will work in direct contact with Synthetic, Medicinal and Peptide Chemists. In this position the candidate will be an integral member of our small molecules drug discovery teams and will support program needs on a daily basis and throughout the drug discovery process from hit identification to clinical candidate selection. The successful candidate with collaborate closely and effectively with protein chemists, medicinal and computational chemists to advance drug discovery pipeline and serve as a resource for colleagues in a team environment. She/he will have to solve complex chemical and structural characterization problems by NMR and bolster his colleagues in charge of Protein NMR and Fragment screen. The successful candidate will be proactive, have a passion for learning, as well as the ability to generate and implement original ideas that contribute to the success of IRBM’s drug discovery projects.
- Maintain, calibrate, and acquire data on IRBM NMR spectrometers; interpret and report scientific data clearly and concisely
- Solve complex chemical and structural characterization problems with NMR
- Conduct operations in a safe manner. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Active participation in discussions in chemistry team meetings.
- Manage workload and time to execute on multiple projects effectively, and deliver on agreed-upon objectives in a timely manner
- Experience running high field Bruker NMR spectrometers
- Experience with multinuclear, multidimensional NMR spectroscopy and advanced NMR data analysis to solve structures of small molecules and biomolecules, as well as performing conformational analysis, solubility and oligomerization measurement.
- Outstanding technical and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written (Good knowledge of English is mandatory)
- Ability to interact within multiple teams but work independently towards defined goals and timelines
- Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities
Required: Master Degree in chemistry, biochemistry or related fields with at least 2+ years relevant experience or a Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry or biophysics related to an NMR topic. Previous experience in drug discovery and development in the pharmaceutical industry is not strictly required but would be preferred.