Position: Principal Research Scientist, Compound Management at IRBM, High Throughput Biology and Screening Unit
IRBM is a drug discovery and development company with a track record of success in accelerating and executing the translation of novel discoveries into clinically relevant therapeutic modalities, including small molecules, peptides and monoclonal antibodies. IRBM is headquartered in Pomezia (Rome), Italy and provides several integrated pre-clinical laboratory services across the entire drug discovery process, ranging from target validation to clinical candidate molecule selection. The company operates through collaborations with a number of Pharmaceutical companies, Biotechs as well as research institutes and non-profit foundations working in a range of disease indications. IRBM mission committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutic agents that can help fight and cure diseases.
We have an opening for a talented and highly motivated Principal Research Scientist to join our High Throughput Biology and Screening Unit to lead the compound management area. The successful candidate will join a dynamic group which interacts extensively with Medicinal Chemistry and Discovery Biology to provide compound handling needs to support structure activity relationship (SAR) studies and high throughput screening. In this laboratory-based position, she/he will contribute to the design, development and maintenance of the compound management processes at IRBM and will work with project teams tasked with rapidly advancing drug discovery programs. A collaborative attitude and ability to multitask are essential for this position. The successful applicant might eventually lead a small team of research associates.
- Responsible for the logistical aspects of compound management; including sample inventory tracking and storage and ensure accurate record keeping.
- Provide support for sample receiving/sorting services, plate generation, screening, inventory maintaining and QC support using various liquid handling instruments for Compound Management.
- Proactively contribute to the development and use of the automated compound management facility and other laboratory automation devices (e.g. liquid handlers).
- Interface with the scientific application team to optimize design and use of LIMS; maintain compound management laboratory instruments in the most efficient and effective operation condition.
- Present updates on project status at individual, group and project meetings and write reports when required.
- Establish productive working relationships with IRBM scientists and team members.
- Maintain high standards of laboratory safety, comply with all safety requirements according to Italian laws.
- Proven experience in compound management and acoustic droplet ejection.
- Proven experience in programming and managing complex integrated platforms (such as compound management and HTS).
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Flexibility to accommodate to rapidly changing priorities and deadline.
- Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Capability to work well under pressure.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English is required.
Qualification: Master’s degree in a life science/engineering related field, with 4-5+ years of relevant experience. Knowledge and experience (+2 years) of compound management in a current setting would be considered a plus.