Position: Research Scientist, Structural Biology Unit, IRBM.
IRBM is a drug discovery and development company with a track record of success in accelerating and executing the translation of novel discoveries into clinically relevant therapeutic modalities, including small molecules, peptides and monoclonal antibodies. IRBM is headquartered in Pomezia (Rome), Italy and provides several integrated pre-clinical laboratory services across the entire drug discovery process, ranging from target validation to clinical candidate molecule selection. The company collaborates with a number of Pharmaceutical companies, Biotech as well as research institutes and non-profit foundations working in a range of disease indications. IRBM is committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutic agents that can help fight and cure diseases.
IRBM is seeking a qualified and highly motivated Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Research Scientist to join our Structural Biology Unit. In this position the candidate will be responsible for solving structural and chemical characterization problems with NMR, including, but not limited to, the characterization of the structure and aggregation states of biomolecules (peptides, proteins, nucleic acids), and their interaction with ligands of interest for drug discovery. The successful candidate is expected to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and to apply NMR studies to facilitate the progression of drug discovery programs. She/he is also expected to identify and implement novel NMR-based technologies that can improve or accelerate the drug discovery and development process. Additional responsibilities may include supervising junior -level staff.
- Solve complex chemical and structural characterization problems with NMR and other analytical techniques
- Provide knowledge and expertise to apply NMR experimental approaches in structure elucidation including tailored approaches to meet the specific needs of each program.
- Collaborate with medicinal chemists in the structural characterization of molecules synthesized for different projects
- Serve as the NMR representative in multidisciplinary project teams and provide guidance to implement experiments that can help meeting objectives in a timely manner.
- Maintain high standards of laboratory safety, comply with all safety requirements according to Italian laws.
- Hands-on experience in designing, analyzing and interpreting NMR data.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art NMR instrumentation; in-depth understanding of NMR spectroscopy and structure elucidation
- Self-motivated and independent thinker with strong research and organizational skills.
- Ability to contribute to and effectively work within interdisciplinary teams comprised of IRBM colleagues, partners and collaborators.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication abilities; strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English is essential.
Ph.D. in biochemistry, chemistry, biophysics, or a related field with at least 3+ years of relevant experience. Previous experience in drug discovery and development a biotech of Pharma environment is not strictly required but would be considered a plus.