Position: Junior Research Scientist, Compound Management, Medicinal Chemistry Unit, IRBM – REF. 170 B IRBM…
December 23rd, 2020
Position: Research Scientist at IRBM, Medicinal Chemistry Unit Ref. 159 B
IRBM is a drug discovery and development company with a track record of success in accelerating and executing the translation of novel discoveries into clinically relevant therapeutic modalities, including small molecules, peptides and monoclonal antibodies. IRBM is headquartered in Pomezia (Rome), Italy and provides several integrated pre-clinical laboratory services across the entire drug discovery process, ranging from target validation to clinical candidate molecule selection. The company operates trough collaborations with a number of Pharmaceutical companies, Biotechs as well as research institutes and non-profit foundations working in a range of disease indications. IRBM is committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutic agents that can help fight and cure diseases.
The Medicinal Chemistry Unit at IRBM is seeking an energetic, results-oriented individual, with a strong and proven background in organic and analytical chemistry. This individual will join a fast-paced medicinal chemistry team and will be required to reduce ideas to practice in the lab quickly by effectively employing a broad range of modern organic chemistry transformations, synthetic methods, purification and characterization techniques. Proven knowledge of lead optimization concepts, to design chemical strategies addressing biological activity and ADME/toxicology properties, is preferred. The successful candidate will have a passion for learning as well as the ability to generate and implement original ideas that contribute to the success of medicinal chemistry teams.
- Design, synthesize, purify and characterize novel organic molecules.
- Troubleshoot and optimize reaction sequences.
- Analyze and identify compounds using a good range of purification and spectroscopic techniques.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Regularly review the medicinal and organic literature.
- Active participation in discussions in medicinal chemistry team meetings.
- Presentation of results to chemistry and project teams.
- Manage workload and time to execute on multiple projects effectively.
- Deliver on agreed-upon objectives in a timely manner.
- Mastery of classical and modern organic chemistry methods.
- Outstanding technical and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to interact with team but work independently towards defined goals and timelines.
- Motivated and passionate about conducting high quality scientific research.
- Good knowledge of English is mandatory.
- Team player.
- Required: Master’s Degree in Chemistry or a related discipline; Preferred: PhD in Chemistry or a related discipline
- 3+ years of experience doing medicinal chemistry in a pharmaceutical or biotech environment would be considered a plus